Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DURHAM TIMES to 80360 or email us
Hexham (House of Commons)
Mr Guy Opperman MP (Conservative)
Surgery: 1 Meal Market
Surgery Tel: 01434 603777
MP Since - 2010 Majority - 5,788 Born - 1965. Long term partner (Karen).
Education - Harrow School. University of Buckingham. First Class diploma from the University of Lille, France.
Previous Occupation - Barrister.
Personal Overview - Won this fairly safe Conservative seat at the 2010 election, his third attempt at entering parliament. He has political experience having been a special advisor to former Shadow Foreign Secretary Michael Ancram QC MP. An experienced Barrister, he has worked on a variety of cases, has prosecuted several murder trials and is a specialist in education law. He has also been active using his legal expertise to work within the community, with such organisations as the Citizens Advice Bureau and on behalf of Victim Support. He was awarded the 2007 Bar Pro Bono Award for his efforts working with the Free Representation Unit and a challenge made to the closure of Marlborough Hospital in Wiltshire. He has been active in campaigning legally to prevent the closure of local hospitals that have not been through a proper consultation process.
Political History - Former Councillor. General Election candidate for North Swindon (1997), Caernarfon (2005). MP Hexham (2010-). PPS to Mark Harper, Minister of State for Immigration (2012-).
Characteristics - Was badly injured by a horse falling on him in a race in 2006 (whilst riding as an amateur steeplechase jockey). He did however win the local point to point at Hexham in March 2009. Has also written a novel that was turned down by publishers and is a keen cricketer. He has cited his mother as the most influential person in his life, who worked for MI5.
Business Tel: 020 7219 3000
Mr Guy Opperman MP (Conservative) on Twitter
Durham Times has no responsibility or control over the content on external blogging sites, but you can contact us if you have a complaint.
Interests: Law & Order,Health
- All-Party Parliamentary Apprenticeships Group (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Arch Cru Investment Scheme (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Choice at the End of Life (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Hill Farming (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Legal and Constitutional Affairs (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Literacy Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Local Democracy (Member)
- Mental Health Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Mountain Rescue (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on National Citizen Service and Volunteering (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on National Parks (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Off-Gas Grid (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Pigs and Poultry (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Racing and Bloodstock Industries Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Water (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Wood Panel Industry (Vice Chairman)
- British-Argentine Group (Member)
- Austria Group (Member)
- British-Central American Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Faroe Islands (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary British-Latin America Group (Member)
North East (European Parliament)
Ms Fiona Hall MEP (Liberal Democrat)
MEP Since - 2004. Born - 15/07/1955. Married, 2 daughters.
Education - Worsley Wardley Grammar School, Swinton. Eccles College, Oxford. Oxford University (St Hugh's College). Oxford Polytechnic (Lady Spencer Churchill College).
Previous Occupation - Teacher in Botswana (1977-79). Part-Time Playgroup Leader (1983-86). Parent governor, Whittingham First School (1984-89); Part-Time/Supply Teacher for Northumberland County Council & Workers Educational Association (1986-95). International polling station supervisor, Kosovo (2001).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament at the second attempt, has also been a worker within the Liberal Democrat party as a regional media coordinator for the North East (in 2000), a press officer and Election Agent. She has experience of campaigning on environmental issues in the North East, notably the Druridge Bay Campaign (1989-96), blocking Nuclear Power and halting sand extraction on the Northumberland coast. Likely to be interested in social issues, having been involved lobbying for the World Development Movement and Oxfam on international development. She was also an International Polling Station Supervisor at the 2001 elections in Kosovo, working for the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
Political History - Liberal Democrat party: Councillors' assistant, Newcastle City (1994-97); Press/political officer to Lembit Öpik MP and Richard Livsey MP (1997-99); Constituency organiser for Alan Beith MP (1999-2001); Regional media co-ordinator for North East (2000); Senior researcher to Alan Beith MP (2001-04). MEP North East Region (2004-). Member of the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly Delegation (2004-). Member of the Delegation for relations with the Pan-African Parliament (2009-) and substitute member of the Delegation for relations with the Korean Peninsula (2009-). Substitute member of the Development Committee (2004-). Member of the Industry, Research & Energy Committee (2004-). Substitute member of the Climate Change Temporary Committee (2007-09). Chief observer to EU Election Observation Mission, Togo (2007).
Other Information - Parent Governor of Whittingham First School (1984-89). She is a published poet. Has a web site http://www.fionahall.org.uk/
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: +32 (0)2 28 45561
Interests: Environment,Education & Training
- Industry, Research & Energy (Member)
- Development (Substitute)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org