Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting DURHAM TIMES to 80360 or email us
Washington and Sunderland West (House of Commons)
Ms Sharon Hodgson MP (Labour)
Surgery: Unit 1
Surgery Tel: 0191 417 2000
MP Since - 2005 Majority - 11,458 Born - 01/04/1966, Married - Alan Hodgson (1990), 1 son, 1 daughter.
Education - Heathfield Senior High School, Gateshead, Newcastle College (HEFC English 1997); TUC National Education Centre (Open College Network Diploma in Labour Party Organising 2000).
Previous Occupation - Accountant - Payroll/Accounts Clerk, Tyneside Safety Glass (1982-88); Personnel Clerk, Northern Rock Building Society, Gosforth (1988-92); Payroll Administrator, Burgess Microswitch (1992-94); Charity Administrator, The Total Learning Challenge (Educational Charity), Newcastle (1998-99).
Personal Overview - Elected in 2005 for a safe Labour seat, she has taken over from Joyce Quin, one of the stalwarts of ministerial office during Tony Blair's first two terms. She lists her political interests as including anti-social behaviour, regional regeneration, education, employment, social inclusion, child care, transport, child poverty, trade justice/fair trade, and pensions. In 2008 she devised the Special Educational Needs (Information) Bill, which became law and has also called for pilots of universal free school meals. Became a PPS early in the parliament before moving to become an Assistant Government Whip in the June 2009 reshuffle until the 2010 election. She advanced to became a Shadow Minister in the October 2010 reshuffle.
Political History - Women's Officer, Tyne Bridge CLP 1998-2000; Regional Organiser, Labour North (1999-2000); Constituency Organiser, Mitcham and Morden CLP (2000-02); Constituency Secretary (2002-05), Labour Link Co-ordinator, London, Unison (2002-05), Member for Gateshead East & Washington West (2005-10), for Washington and Sunderland West (2010-). Member of the Regulatory Reform Select Committee (2005-10). Member of the European Scrutiny Select Committee (2006). PPS to Liam Byrne MP (Home Office) (2006-07). PPS to Bob Ainsworth (Defence) (2007-09). Member of the Children, Schools and Families Select Committee (2007-10). Member of the North East Committee (2009-10). Assistant Government Whip (2009-10). Opposition Whip (2010). Shadow Minister for Education (2010-).
Characteristics - Her recreations include reading, cinema, cooking, shopping, travel, family. Union Member - GMB (1999-), T&G (2002-).
Business Tel: 020 7219 5160
Ms Sharon Hodgson MP (Labour) on Twitter
Durham Times has no responsibility or control over the content on external blogging sites, but you can contact us if you have a complaint.
Interests: Business & Finance,Urban Issues,Regional Policy,Transport,Women's Issues,Education & Training,Charities,Employment
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Adoption and Fostering (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Allergy (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Archives and History (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Athletics Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Basketball (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Brain Tumours (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Breast Cancer (Chairman)
- Christians in Parliament Group (Secretary)
- Design and Innovation Group (Associate Group) (Member)
- Epilepsy Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Faith and Society (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Film Industry Group (Member)
- Food and Drink Manufacturing Group (Member)
- Food and Health Group (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Freight Transport (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Fuel Poverty and Energy Efficiency Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Prevention of Genocide and Crimes against Humanity (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Home Education (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Infertility (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary ITV Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Literacy Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Long Term Conditions (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Looked after Children and Care Leavers (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Maternity (Member)
- Motorcycling (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Music (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Ovarian Cancer (Chairman)
- Parents and Families (Associate Group) (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on School Food (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Sex Equality (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Sure Start Children's Centres (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Thrombosis Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Wine and Spirit Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Bosnia and Herzegovina (Member)
- British-Bulgarian Group (Member)
- Cambodia Group (Member)
- UK-Singapore Group (Member)
North East (European Parliament)
Ms Fiona Hall MEP (Liberal Democrat)
MEP Since - 2004. Born - 15/07/1955. Married, 2 daughters.
Education - Worsley Wardley Grammar School, Swinton. Eccles College, Oxford. Oxford University (St Hugh's College). Oxford Polytechnic (Lady Spencer Churchill College).
Previous Occupation - Teacher in Botswana (1977-79). Part-Time Playgroup Leader (1983-86). Parent governor, Whittingham First School (1984-89); Part-Time/Supply Teacher for Northumberland County Council & Workers Educational Association (1986-95). International polling station supervisor, Kosovo (2001).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament at the second attempt, has also been a worker within the Liberal Democrat party as a regional media coordinator for the North East (in 2000), a press officer and Election Agent. She has experience of campaigning on environmental issues in the North East, notably the Druridge Bay Campaign (1989-96), blocking Nuclear Power and halting sand extraction on the Northumberland coast. Likely to be interested in social issues, having been involved lobbying for the World Development Movement and Oxfam on international development. She was also an International Polling Station Supervisor at the 2001 elections in Kosovo, working for the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
Political History - Liberal Democrat party: Councillors' assistant, Newcastle City (1994-97); Press/political officer to Lembit Öpik MP and Richard Livsey MP (1997-99); Constituency organiser for Alan Beith MP (1999-2001); Regional media co-ordinator for North East (2000); Senior researcher to Alan Beith MP (2001-04). MEP North East Region (2004-). Member of the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly Delegation (2004-). Member of the Delegation for relations with the Pan-African Parliament (2009-) and substitute member of the Delegation for relations with the Korean Peninsula (2009-). Substitute member of the Development Committee (2004-). Member of the Industry, Research & Energy Committee (2004-). Substitute member of the Climate Change Temporary Committee (2007-09). Chief observer to EU Election Observation Mission, Togo (2007).
Other Information - Parent Governor of Whittingham First School (1984-89). She is a published poet. Has a web site http://www.fionahall.org.uk/
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: +32 (0)2 28 45561
Interests: Environment,Education & Training
- Industry, Research & Energy (Member)
- Development (Substitute)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org